NOTICE OF THE 2019 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

NELSON/WHAKATU

NOTICE OF THE 2019 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Menzshed Nelson- Whakatu is to be held at the Menzshed Club rooms, 236 Haven Rd, Stepneyville 7010, on Thursday the 15" of August 2019 at 11.00am.

Your committee cordially invites you to attend.

The business of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall include:

1)         Welcome by our Chairperson and a statement of acknowledgement of meeting attendees, proxies and apologies.

2)         Minutes of the previous year’s AGM.

3)         Matters arising from the previous meeting minutes.

4)         Presentation of the Annual report by our Chairperson including a Financial report from the Treasure, Peter Shelton.

5)         Any matters that arise.

6)         Notification of any general business a member wishes to raise must be submitted to the secretary in writing 7 days before the AGM.

7)         As required by our incorporation rules, prior to the AGM, an interim nomination list of candidates for the Menzshed Nelson-Whakatu committee is listed below. Any additional nominations must be received by the secretary, or any current committee member, 7 days prior to the AGM.

Nominations received, after this notice has been published, will be advised immediately prior to the meeting, on the day. Nomination details to date are:

New Candidates: (Additional nominations will be advised pre meeting) Colin Johnstone

Existing Committee members: Philip Chapman (Chairperson) Peter Shelton (Treasurer) Gavin Cooke ___ (Retiring)

Grant Raven (Meet & Greeter) Zack Domike

Wayne Logan

Shane Paretene

Cairo Preston

Adrian Faulkner

Grant Raven

Menzshed Nelson-Whakatu Secretary

Committe Agenda March 13th 2019

Menzshed Nelson Whakatu Inc Committee Agenda 2019

Feb 13th Feb 2019 3:30pm Menzshed

Chair: Phil Chapman

Deputy Chair

Treasurer: Peter Shelton

Secretary: Graeme O’Brien

Committee Members: Gavin Cooke, Zack Domike, Cairo Hemi, Shane Paratene, Adrian Faulkner

Previous Minutes: True & Correct

Proposed:

Seconded:

Correspondence:

Inwards: Miscellaneous, Membership applications, donated goods inquiries etc

Outwards: Miscellaneous,

Action Points from last meeting:

· Phil Chapman wishes to gather more information from Dennis Moriarty and partners on The Box before following this up with Mr Vanya Smythe. (ONGOING)

· Secretary Graeme O’Brien. Query: Who has responsibility to authorise workshops purchases outside of Machine shop purchases as authorised by committee? (TBA)

· Letter to be drafted asking members to outline project and commit to a time frame for when work on boats are expected to be completed. Project to be evaluated by Committee (Workshop Team/Boat Team once formed) and decision to extend or remove be made. (Ongoing)

· Vertical Horizons: Phil Chapman in ongoing discussions with Council liaison officer. Committee to be advised of outcome. (Chair to report)

· (Note: Vertical Horizons are interested to work with MS to help young men into employment and have offered to promote Menzshed were possible amongst businesses that use their services)

· Inwards/Outwards goods & items sold/traded to be recorded in “Shed Items Book” for Committee records. (Done, but needs refining)

· Progress on Paints. (Done)

· Phil to ask Menzshed NZ for guidance on legal document for donations & loans. (Chair to report)

· Secretary to email members asking for a mentor for Josh Greer. (Done, no feedback)

· Document to be written for Key holders to sign stating Shed rules must be abided by at all times and the responsibility of having privileged access is made clear. (Ongoing)

· Sunday Team to work on practical application of Members “Tool Library” (Ongoing)

Health & Safety Forklift: Item#14

It would appear that there are a number of issues regarding the use of forklifts that may be difficult for Menzshed to comply with.

General Business.

1/ The Workbox (Protocols & Update)

Discussions between Dennis Moriaty, Chair and Secretary to clarify paperwork before bringing to committee.

Chair to organise and advise.

Proposed:

Seconded:

2/ Key holders:

The issue of who has keys and reasons for them has not been properly settled. The Secretary wishes to bring this item back before the Committee for a full and final decision.

Colin Johnston wishes to have a key so that he can put out the rubbish on Monday nights. The Secretary did ask Peter McGowen if he could have his key for this reason.

(Note at time of writing a Key Holders agreement has not been written due to unforeseen circumstances)

DECISION:

Proposed:

Seconded:

3/ Menzshed Project vs Personal Project:

From 25th Feb Meeting

“It seems that once Menzshed agrees that a member can do a significant project at Menzshed this by defacto becomes a Menzshed Project utilising all Shed resources. “

This item was not dealt with fully at the 25th Feb meeting and there is still ambiguity over this issue. The Secretary wishes to bring this item back before the committee for a full and final decision.

Background from 25th Feb Meeting


Committee decision: Projects must come through the process already in place. There is a request page on Nelson Whakatu Menzshed website, any request in the first instance to be received through this previously agreed process.

· Projects from the Workshop to be passed to Committee for approval before being undertaken.

· Small Projects coming through the door can be accepted by Grant Raven and Committee advised or be asked to put application through Website.

· It is expected that a Workshop Team will undertake these responsibilities once formed and approved by Committee.

………………………………………………………………………………..

Information provided at the 25th Feb Meeting

As the Secretary understands Peter McGowen Sea Scout project was a personal project by Peter repairing boats for the Sea Scouts and that Menzshed agreed that it could be undertaken on site. However, this has turned into quite an undertaking for a number of Menzshed members and an issue of allocated space. Furthermore, Peter has asked Mark to draw up plans for another related Sea Scout project. My concerns are that no costs of either materials or members time are being accounted for, that members may feel obligated to help under the impression that it is a Menzshed Project for the good of the shed.

This I feel is also the case for the Brook Sanctuary project, Wayne and I spoke with John about this project and he agreed to take this on as a personal project for the Sanctuary. However, this project has other members helping and Al was asked if he could print 3D ends for the boxes. This requires a key person of the shed to devote time to and requires Menzshed resources.

I believe that this is not feasible as it takes 45 mins to print one end cap.

If other members wish to be part of the project on a personal level that is all well and good however it would be good to set some parameters around these kind of projects.

Update

Member John Martin who initially was undertaking Brook Sanctuary Rat Traps is now undertaking building Mouse Traps. The Secretary was on site when a Sanctuary Rep Robert Schadewinkel did bring this project to John M.

John M did ask if this needed to go back through the Request Page and committee however the Secretary did exercise his discretion as, it is a members project that has previously been approved and it does not take up an unreasonable amount of space (or any resources as I understand) . The Secretary was concerned about this being a second project for the Sanctuary however the original project is being done by Trent Roberts and is suitable for his abilities and on discussion with the Sanctuary Rep it seems the Rat Trap project is nearly completed.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded :

Recommendation:

Menshed Project for outside Organisation

The proposed project should come through the Website. This can be put by the Member involved.

This would outline what was being asked, how much Menzshed was being asked to contribute, e.g others members practical skills, resources, space time involved till completion etc. costs meet by respective organisations, who is leading the project & who is helping the project.


The opinion of Supervisors and respective Teams should be sought on the sheds ability to carry out such a project.

Any other members time or shed resources above and beyond the initial agreement should be carefully managed

For a project to be classed as a Menzshed Project there should be some communication and outline of agreement between the two respective committees in case of any future dispute.

Members Project for Outside organisation for major project.

The proposed project should come through the Website.

This would outline what the project is, what Menzshed is being asked to contribute, e.g others members practical skills, resources, space time involved till completion etc.

The opinion of Supervisors and respective Teams should be sought on the sheds ability to carry out such a project.

Any other members time or shed resources above and beyond the initial agreement should be carefully managed.

Members Project for Outside organisation for minor project.

The agreement of a Supervisor (two would be best).

The Member should give an overview of the project to the Committee so that the there is an understanding of which organisations Menzshed are helping indirectly through our Members.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded :

4/ Workshop Teams & Organisational Structure:

Following on from the last meeting and the pressing need for this to be done and finalised for the smooth running of the workshop the Secretary puts forward an Organisational Structure and outline of Position responsibilities (as attached) for the Committee’s discussion.

All Members named in this document have been asked if they agree in principle to taking on the responsibility of these positions or already have this responsibility, however Members have not been asked to comment on the Responsibilities or any input into the actual wording.

It is envisioned that if the Committee agree with the Organisational Structure it will be taken back to the Members named in the document for their input and a final draft will be submitted for Committee final approval or if the Committee wishes the Chair could approval in the interests of moving forward quickly as it is hoped there will be little change to the document.

This Organisational Structure and the responsibilities taken on by the Teams should address many of the issues that have been difficult for the Committee to deal with after the fact.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded:

5/ Members Projects

There are a number of Members projects that do not seem to be progressing. Although we must take into account that our opening days/times are limited it is still expected that the Member attend and shows progression on their project.


In conjunction with the Teams responsible for these areas the Secretary would like to list these projects and contact the appropriate Members for an update on what is happening and establish timeframe for completion.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded:

6/ Members (Public) buying options:

This item was dealt with in the last meeting however things have slightly changed and the Committee may like an update.

Much of this will be taken up by the Organisational Structure if approved.

Wayne Logan has agreed to take on the responsibility Outwards Goods and of accepting a fair donation for goods and this is to be recorded.

The Secretary has for member Gavin Amey put this through as a practical application as follows:

Gavin Amey expressed interest in the fencing timber donated from Mitre 10 and offered just under half retail as a donation. Wayne was away so after discussions with the Chair on if he thought a reasonable price was half retail less $1, chair agreed. To put this to a second opinion the Secretary asked Colin Johnston if he thought that this was reasonable and fair to which Colin agreed.

As we have four supervisors it may be a good process if possible, on major items e.g over $100 to have two opinions, if this is not possible for any number of reasons appropriate person can make a decision.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded:

11/ exMenzshed Nelson members claim for $700 debt to be repaid.

(Carried over from 25th Feb)

Treasurer Peter Shelton asked that his item be discussed. As a brief history from the Secretary’s understanding:

When MS Nelson & Whakatu amalgamated MS Nelson reps did ask that their constitution, website Logo etc be retained to which MS Whakatu reps did agree.

After the agreed amalgamation it was disclosed that Menzshed Nelson members had to pay out of pocket expenses of $700 to their past Chairman for the right to use the website, logo etc.

A number of ex MS Nelson members who did pay $100 each have asked that MS Nelson Whakatu reimburse their outlay.

MS Nelson Whakatu does use the Website and Logo.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded:

12/ Port Wifi access: Port has granted access through Kent Robertson However when tried to connect it did not work.

Committee consider sending letter for thanks and ask about access issues


Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded:

13/ Toys: Menzshed/ Salvation Army Partnership. Graeme OBrien is in contact with Manager regarding wooden toys they are storing for ideas and 50/50 partnership of items sold through Salvation Army Store.

Decision:

Proposed:

Seconded:

The 50/50 partnership could also be looked at as an ongoing arrangement for other work. At the moment Ian is restoring a table for Salvation Army. If Salvation Army see a good return on this item they might see a good future for this kind of partnership.

Waiting to hear from Manager about this.

14/ Forklift: Chair Phil Chapman to advise

Decision:

Proposed:
Seconded:

15/ Mainfright: Cartage of Ozito tools from North Island. This was organised through Dennis M Committee consider sending letter for thanks.

Secretary apologies for lateness of item.
Proposed:
Seconded:
16/ Members Request

Raised Gardens Beds As attached.

Decision:
Proposed:
Seconded:

17/ Major Items Donated

Committee needs discuss what should be done with major items donated e.g Drop saws, skill saws etc that are surplus to requirements.

Options:

1/ Silent auction: Over a set time Members can put in bids on an item. 2/ Auction: A date set for this and may the best member win.

3/ Auction: As above but public would be invited. 4/ Trade Me/Facebook etc.

5/ Advertise for good causes to give to, e.g refugee working in the building trade, someone needing tools to get started in new job etc etc etc etc.

6/ other ideas.

Committee Meeting 25th Feb 2019

Menzshed Nelson Whakatū Inc. Committee Meeting

25th February 2019

Meeting started 4:30pm Meeting finished 6pm

Chair: Phil Chapman Deputy Chair Wayne Logan Treasurer: Peter Shelton

Secretary: Graeme O’Brien

Committee Members: Gavin Cooke, Zack Domike, Cairo Hemi, Adrian Faulkner.

Present: Phil Chapman, Graeme O’Brien, Zack Domike, Cairo Hemi, Adrian Faulkner, Grant Raven joined meeting as had information pertaining to business at hand Apologies: Shane Paratene, Peter Shelton

Absent: Gavin Cooke (did not receive email)

Visitors: Al Stewart, Grant Raven, Mel Courtney.

Previous minutes: Not included. Committee agreed for them to be sent online for committee to agree true and correct. Secretary apologises for error.

Previous minutes accepted as true and correct. Proposed: Graeme O’Brien

Seconded: Peter Shelton

Correspondence:

Inwards: Member Applications. One application for project.

Outwards: Confirm receipt of applications and miscellaneous replies


Action Points from last meeting:

· Health & Safety: Fire door warning: All members better housekeeping. (Done)

· Rosters for Floor supervisors & helpers: Wayne to ask for volunteers. (Done)

· Community Requests Team: Wayne to ask workshop member to be on team. (Done)

· The Box: Chair Phil Chapman to discuss paperwork with Dennis Chair did discuss with Dennis. Dennis to present a power point. (Further discussions with partners. Chair Phil Chapman)

· The Box Committee to review Workbox Protocols and discuss at next meeting. (ongoing)

· Keys: To be reissued based on reason for having one. (ongoing)

· Keys: Graeme O’Brien to contact with Rod & Hamish. (Done)

· Parking: Chair Phil Chapman to discuss with council. (Done)

· Parking: Members to be reminded not to block Port truck access.(Done)

· Brochures: Graeme O’Brien to contact John Martin to update. (Done Zack/Wayne)

· Workshop Float: Treasurer to organise. (Done)

· Vertical Horizons: Graeme O’Brien to produce document for Chair. (Done)

Chair to discuss with Council. (Ongoing)

· Donated material etc: Graeme O’Brien to draft letter for donators outlining ownership. (To look at legal letter regarding donation & loan wording) (Ongoing)

· Funding: Phil Chapman to discuss with Chris Alison & Council (Chris Alison to apply to PHO, Smoko free policy needed. Phil to arrange policy etc)

Excess hand tools: Wayne Logan, Ken Heraty, donate to developing

country (Tools etc given to Restore)

Health & Safety:

Key Holders Item #3 Dangerous Goods #15


General Business:

Chairs Report:

As tabled by Chair Phil Chapman.

Wayne Logan letter of resignation, accepted with sadness from Committee.

Financials: Tabled

Opening balance $9222.54 Closing Balance $8468.53

Action point: Secretary Graeme O’Brien. Query: Who has responsibility to authorise workshops purchases outside of Machine shop purchases as authorised by committee?

Proposed: Phil Chapman Seconded: Zack Domike

(Update 26th Feb 2019 Grant Raven has “Purchase Book” anyone wishing to make a purchase from Mitre 10 must get a “Purchase Order from Mitre 10)

Shed Report:

As tabled by Wayne Logan. Proposed: Phil Chapman Seconded: Graeme O’Brien

1/ The Workbox:

Documents tabled by Dennis M.

Dennis is preparing a power point presentation and asks for this item to be postponed.

1a/ A proposal has been put forward by a Mr Vanya Smythe regarding the Workbox. The Secretary can give a brief outline of this from talking with Mr Vanya Smythe however until the committee has discussed the documents submitted by Dennis the proposal cannot be put forward.

Committee discussed: how this fits with the The Workbox visions & principles of Menzshed

Action Point: Phil wishes to gather more information from Dennis and partners in the Box before following this up.

2/ Keys:

The Secretary asked members who have keys if they need one and if so can they please give their reasons so that the Committee can make a decision.

Members reasons for having keys was given by Secretary Graeme O’Brien. Committee discussed & further information is needed before a decision is made. Postponed till next meeting.


3/ Key holders:

Key Holders have the ability to access and work on projects outside of normal operating hours. Although this is not an issue in it’s self the issue of members working alone is one the Committee must clarify and take responsibility for.

Committee decision: Key Holders to be reminded to follow shed rules.

“There must be a minimum of two members on site at all times during hours of operation.”

Action Point: Document to be written for Key holders to sign stating Shed rules must be abided by at all times and the responsibility of having privileged access is made clear.

4/ Workshop Team:

Organisational Structure submitted by Dennis M

Action Point:. Chair Phil Chapman will talk with Dennis M regarding draft organizational structure tabled. Complexity of structure & process to be followed.

5/ Workshop Area:

Boats in the main workshop area, Boat mould in extended area, donations that cannot be easily reused, repurposed or are of little to no value.

It is envisioned that a Workshop Team will take up much of the decision making around this matter when formed.

Committee decision: Boats to be worked on in lower level only. Workshop South wall area to be made available for work benches for members use.

A process needs to be put in place for allowing members to bring boats for maintenance etc.

Action Point: Letter to be drafted asking members to outline project and commit to a time frame for when work on boats are expected to be completed. Project to be evaluated by Committee (Workshop Team/Boat Team once formed) and decision to extend or remove be made.

(Update 26th Feb Gavin Cooke has accepted responsibility for boat workshop area. Anyone wishing to work on a boat must talk with Gavin so that the full scale of the work required can be assessed and how long this work could take. Boat owners to sign a brief contract stating time allowed for this project and conditions for committee to reassess at the end of the specified time)

6/ Rubbish:

Wayne has made arrangements. Committee to be advised. Can plan wheelie bin has been arranged by Wayne.

Committee thanks Wayne for his efforts sorting this out.


7/ Garage Sale etc /Members buying options:

To deal with the issue of the office furniture, excess tools etc a few ideas were discussed onsite with members. Garage Sale, Trade Me, Menzshed Shop.

A system has evolved were members are buying donated items. Although in principle this is a good idea there are a number of issues that the Committee may wish to discuss.

1/ Are the items being sold for a good price i.e what we can get from a Garage Sale/Trade Me/On Site shop. Does it matter?

2/ Is this a “first up best dressed” arrangement?

Does the Committee wish to put some guidelines in place?

Committee decision: Grant Raven volunteered to take on interim responsibility for inwards & outwards goods by public or members & resale of donated goods to members or public.

(Update 26th Feb Grant Raven informed the Secretary that Ken Heraty has taken on this role. The Secretary spoke briefly with Ken Heraty who has agreed to give it go and see how it goes)

Action Point: All Inwards/Outwards goods & items sold/traded to be recorded in “Shed Items Book” (within reason at ken Herety discretion) for Committee records.

Committee is aware of the responsibility placed on this role and hopes that when a Workshop Team is formed with committee approval that this role can be shared by others.

Proposed: Chair Phil Chapman Seconded: Zack Domike Passed: Unanimous.

8/ Members borrowing of tools:

Does the Committee wish to put some guidelines in place?

Committee decision: For Health & Safety reasons absolutely no power tools to be borrowed & no expendables to be taken from Shed. Tool library to be set up for tools that members may borrow. These being hand tools etc.

Acton Point: Sunday Team to work on practical application of this idea.

9/ Insurance:

Phil Chapman to update.

Chair Phil Chapman advised. Done.

10/ exMenzshed Nelson members claim for $700 debt to be repaid:

Treasurer Peter Shelton asked that his item be discussed. As a brief history from the Secretary’s understanding:

When MS Nelson & Whakatu amalgamated MS Nelson reps did ask that their constitution, website Logo etc be retained to which MS Whakatu reps did agree.

After the agreed amalgamation it was disclosed that Menzshed Nelson members had to pay out of pocket expenses of $700 to their past Chairman for the right to use the website, logo etc.

A number of ex MS Nelson members who did pay $100 each have asked that MS Nelson Whakatu reimburse their outlay.

MS Nelson Whakatu does use the Website and Logo.

Committee discussed: Chair Phil Chapman asked that this be postponed until Treasurer can speak to item & give information.

Committee agreed

12/ Menzshed Project vs Personal Project:

It seems that once Menzshed agrees that a member can do a significant project at Menzshed this by defacto becomes a Menzshed Project utilising all Shed resources.

Committee decision: Projects must come through the process already in place. There is a request page on Nelson Whakatu Menzshed website, any request in the first instance to be received through this previously agreed process.

· Projects from the Workshop to be passed to Committee for approval before being undertaken.

· Small Projects coming through the door can be accepted by Grant Raven and Committee advised or be asked to put application through Website.

· It is expected that a Workshop Team will undertake these responsibilities once formed and approved by Committee.

13/ Donations vs “On-loan”

The Committee may wish to give thought to the way in which Menzshed is acquiring machinery, tools, etc.

Items are being given to Menzshed on loan (or without any firm agreement in place) however these at times require quite a bit of time and money to be functional.

A simple document that gives Menzshed full possession to do with the item as we wish could be an easy fix.

However, at times Menzshed may wish to take an “on-loan” item as it is helpful to our operations or may be an expensive piece of equipment.

If another similar item is later donated should Menshed ask that the “on-loan” equipment be taken away and replaced with the “donated” item?

Committee Decision: Look a legal guidelines covering donations/ loans.

Action Point: Phil to ask Menzshed NZ for guidance.

14/ Vertical Horizons Proposal:

Vertical Horizons are waiting for an answer from the Committee and Council whether to further their proposal.

Action Point: Phil in ongoing discussions with Council liaison officer. Committee to be advised of outcome.

15/ Dangerous Goods:

There are a number of items that are deemed dangerous goods e.g paints, thinners, resins etc being stored on-site incorrectly.

Committee decision: Review guidelines on storage of paints etc. No solvent based paints to be accepted as donations. Paints must be moved from near electrical box as priority. Amount of paints held on site to be reduced. To be discuss with Workshop members.

Boat solvents, resins etc, to be discussed with Gavin Cooke on handling & storage etc.

Action Point: Progress on Paints.

(Update from 26th of Feb. After further review of Osh etc info, it seems that although paints are Dangerous Goods they are far down the list and Menzshed seem to be ok with storing these goods within reason. The Shed needs to be mindful of accepting any paints etc as it is difficult to dispose of. The paints should not be stored too close to the electrical switch board and a new space should be found asap.)

16/ Josh Greer application.

Josh is a Nelson Boys student and is undertaking a small business project making wooden arms for sunglasses and asked if he can do this at Menzshed,

Committee decision: Although this is outside of Menzshed normal operations it was agreed that if a member with suitable experience agrees to mentor Josh the committee feels it is worthwhile to help Josh with his venture.

Action Point: Secretary to email members asking for a mentor for Josh Greer.

(Update 26th Feb from correspondence with Josh. Josh can only work on Sundays due to School commitments.)

17/ Late items to be included at next meeting:

Port Wifi access: Port has granted access.

Toys: Menzshed/ Salvation Army Partnership. Graeme OBrien is in contact with Manager regarding wooden toys they are storing for ideas and 50/50 partnership of items sold through Salvation Army Store

Forklift: Chair Phil Chapman to advise.

Next meeting 13th Wednesday 3:30pm

Action Points:

Phil Chapman wishes to gather more information from Dennis Moriarty and partners on The Box before following this up with Mr Vanya Smythe.

Secretary Graeme O’Brien. Query: Who has responsibility to authorise workshops purchases outside of Machine shop purchases as authorised by committee?

Letter to be drafted asking members to outline project and commit to a time frame for when work on boats are expected to be completed. Project to be evaluated by Committee (Workshop Team/Boat Team once formed) and decision to extend or remove be made.

Vertical Horizons: Phil Chapman in ongoing discussions with Council liaison officer. Committee to be advised of outcome.

Inwards/Outwards goods & items sold/traded to be recorded in “Shed Items Book” for Committee records.

Progress on Paints.

Phil to ask Menzshed NZ for guidance on legal document for donations & loans.

Secretary to email members asking for a mentor for Josh Greer.

Document to be written for Key holders to sign stating Shed rules must be abided by at all times and the responsibility of having privileged access is made clear.

Sunday Team to work on practical application of Members “Tool Library”

Committee Minutes 23rd February 2019

Menzshed Nelson Whakatu Inc
Committee Agenda
25th February 2019

Chair:                    Phil Chapman
Deputy Chair       Wayne Logan
Treasurer:             Peter Shelton
Secretary:             Graeme O’Brien

Committee Members:  Gavin Cooke, Zack Domike, Cairo Hemi, Shane Paratene, Adrian Faulkner

 Correspondence:

Inwards:

Outwards:

 Action Points from last meeting:

·       Health & Safety: Fire door warning: All members better housekeeping.

·       Rosters for Floor supervisors & helpers: Wayne to ask for volunteers.

·       Community Requests Team:            Wayne to ask workshop member to be on team.

·       The Box:         Phil to discuss paperwork with Dennis

·       The Box          Committee to review Workbox Protocols and discuss at next meeting.

·       Keys:              To be reissued based on reason for having one.

·       Keys:              Graeme to contact with Rod & Hamish. (Done)

·       Parking:         Phil to discuss with council. (Done)

·       Parking:         Members to be reminded not to block Port truck access.

·       Brochures:     Graeme to contact John Martin to update.  (Done Zack/Wayne)

·       Workshop Float:                   Treasurer to organise. 

·       Vertical Horizons:                Graeme to produce document for Phil. (Done)

                        Phil to discuss with Council.

·       Donated material etc:           Graeme to draft letter for donators outlining ownership. 

·       Funding:                                Phil Chapman to discuss with Chris Alison & Council

Excess hand tools:                 Wayne Logan,Ken Heraty,donate to developing country

 

Health & Safety:

Key Holders Item #3

Dangerous Goods #15

 General Business:

 Chairs Report:

 As tabled by Chair Phil Chapman.

 Shed Report:

As tabled by Wayne Logan.

 1/ The Workbox:

Documents tabled by Dennis M.

Dennis is preparing a power point presentation and asks for this item to be postponed.

 1a/ A proposal has been put forward by a Mr Vanya Smythe regarding the Workbox. The Secretary can give a brief outline of this from talking with Mr Vanya Smythe however until the committee has discussed the documents submitted by Dennis the proposal cannot be put forward. 

 2/ Keys:

 The Secretary asked members who have keys if they need one and if so can they please give their reasons so that the Committee can make a decision.

 3/ Key holders:

Key Holders have the ability to access and work on projects outside of normal operating hours. Although this is not an issue in it’s self the issue of members working alone is one the Committee must clarify and take responsibility for.

 4/ Workshop Team:

Organisational Structure submitted by Dennis M 

 5/ Workshop Area:

Boats in the main workshop area, Boat mould in extended area, donations that cannot be easily reused, repurposed or are of little to no value.

It is envisioned that a Workshop Team will take up much of the decision making around this matter.

 6/ Rubbish:

Wayne has made arrangements. Committee to be advised. 

 7/ Garage Sale etc /Members buying options:

To deal with the issue of the office furniture, excess tools etc a few ideas were discussed onsite with members. Garage Sale, Trade Me Menzshed Shop. 

A system has evolved were members are buying donated items. Although in principle this is a good idea there are a number of issues that the Committee may wish to discuss.

1/ Are the items being sold for a good price i.e what we can get from a Garage Sale/Trade Me/On Site shop. Does it matter?

2/ Is this a “first up best dressed” arrangement?

Does the Committee wish to put some guidelines in place?

 8/ Members borrowing of tools:

Does the Committee wish to put some guidelines in place?

 9/ Insurance:

Phil Chapman to update

 10/ exMenzshed Nelson members claim for $700 debt to be repaid:

Treasurer Peter Shelton asked that his item be discussed.

As a brief history from the Secretary’s understanding:

When MS Nelson & Whakatu amalgamated MS Nelson reps did ask that their constitution, website Logo etc be retained to which MS Whakatu reps did agree.   

After the agreed amalgamation it was disclosed that Menzshed Nelson members had to pay out of pocket expenses of $700 to their past Chairman for the right to use the website, logo etc.

A number of ex MS Nelson members who did pay $100 each have asked that MS Nelson Whakatu reimburse their outlay.

MS Nelson Whakatu does use the Website and Logo.

12/ Menzshed Project vs Personal Project:

It seems that once Menzshed agrees that a member can do a significant project at Menzshed this by defacto becomes a Menzshed Project utilising all Shed resources.  

Committee to discuss.

 13/ Donations vs “On-loan”

The Committee may wish to give thought to the way in which Menzshed is acquiring machinery, tools, etc.

Items are being given to Menzshed on loan (or without any firm agreement in place) however these at times require quite a bit of time and money to be functional.

A simple document that gives Menzshed full possession to do with the item as we wish could be an easy fix.

However, at times Menzshed may wish to take an “on-loan” item as it is helpful to our operations or may be an expensive piece of equipment.

If another similar item is later donated should Menshed ask that the “on-loan” equipment be taken away and replaced with the “donated” item?

 14/ Vertical Horizons Proposal:

Vertical Horizons are waiting for an answer from the Committee and Council whether to further their proposal.

Please see attached Vertical Horizons Document for details.

 15/ Dangerous Goods:

There are a number of items that are deemed dangerous goods e.g paints, thinners, resins etc being stored on-site incorrectly.

 

16/ Josh Greer application.

As per application attached.

Committee Minutes 13th December 2018

Menzshed Nelson Whakatū Inc
Committee Minutes 13th December 2018

Meeting started 4:10pm                                Closed at 5:25pm

Chair:                    Phil Chapman
Deputy Chair       Wayne Logan
Treasurer:             Peter Shelton
Secretary:             Graeme O’Brien
Committee Members:  Gavin Cooke, Zack Domike, Cairo Hemi, Shane Paratene, Adrian Faulkner
Attendance: Phil Chapman, Wayne Logan, Peter Shelton, Graeme O’Brien, Adrian Faulkner Zack Domike Shane Paraten
Absent: Cairo Hemi, Gavin Cooke
Apologies Lateness: Shane Paratene
Visitors: Ken Heraty, Ruedi Schuler, Kent Robertson

Previous Minutes: (PRINTOUT)   15th November 2018

Motion True & Correct:  Moved Wayne Logan       Seconded Zack Domike

Correspondence:            Inwards -(PRINTOUT) Buy New Zealand Made Campaign
Outwards -N/A
Moved
Adrian Faulkner                       Seconded Peter Shelton

Health & Safety
Warning on blocking fire door with packaging and steel from Fire Inspector.
Action: Better house-keeping

Members parking blocking Port Trucks.
Action: Phil Chapman to discuss with Council, alleyway beside Shed & front parking.

            Members to be reminded not to park past a certain point.

            Further discussion on signage of some kind.  

 Treasurers Report: Grant Raven, final financial report and passed role to Peter Shelton.

 Moved Phil Chapman                                    Seconded Wayne Logan

 Action points from last meeting: 

·       NCC Land at Founders: Further discussion on suitable land.  

·       WiFi from Port: Progressing.

·       Key Holder register: Item #11.

·       Treasurers report & hand over:  #Treasurers Report.

·       Change bank signatories from Rod Schmitt to Phil Chapman: DONE

General Business.

1/       Menzshed Christmas Party. 

Menzshed 20th December 12pm. Buy Burgers, Sausages in Freezer.  

ACTION: Phil Chapman to bring Burgers and fillings: BBQ Adrian Faulkner & Phil Chapman to bring small BBQs.

 2/       Christmas opening hours. Closed from 21th Dec & Reopened 6th Jan.

 3/       Funding: Chris Alison to apply for $1000 for Carving Projects from PHO.

Funding for  First Aid courses, $1500 Hand tools $500 training, travel to seminars etc is being worked on.  

ACTION: Phil Chapman to progress with Chris Alison and Council. 

 

a/       Charities paperwork: New Committee members to fill out.

ACTION: Done

 

4/        Vertical Horizons https://www.verticalhorizonz.com/about-us is looking to open a branch in Nelson and asked to sponsor/partner/lease/hire Shed for their safety training and certification business. Graeme met with Nelson Contractor and Regional Manager on the 7/12/18 and reported back to committee on what was discussed.  

Action: Phil Chapman to discuss with Council & bring back for further discussion.

 

5/       Setting Fees and Time for membership fees

At the AGM Members voted for monetary membership subscription to be voluntary/donation/koha and Time membership hours to be expected. New Committee to finalise.  

Agreed wording:

Members monetary subscriptions are set at $25 a year depending on financial situation; and 12 hours a year towards the benefit of Menzshed.

 Moved Adrian Faulkner                          Seconded Zack Domike

 6/       The BOX

  • Report: Dennis Moriarty

  • Paperwork: Rata Application, MOUs, Contract, Agreements Correspondence.

  • Point of Contact going forward. Phil & Dennis

  • Workbox Protocols working document received late and unable to distribute to committee members before meeting.

 ACTION:  Not discussed due to report coming after agenda had been sent out.

       Phil to discuss any Contracts, MOU etc with Dennis.

       Committee to review Workbox Protocols and discuss at next meeting.

 7/       Process for answering Community Requests.

  • Minor projects go to a 3 person team that evaluates the project from application, finds a leader for the project and reports on the project to the committee at the next meeting.

  • More than minor projects as referred from Community Projects Team to Committee.

Action: To continue

 8/       Teams for handling organisational requirements.

a/ Community Requests - Currently Wayne Logan & Zack Domike.

Action:           Wayne Logan to ask workshop member to be on team. 

b/ Health & Safety inductions – Graeme O’Brien & Grant Raven

 9/       Workshop Operational members & need for more.

Floor supervisors: Wayne Logan, Al Stewart

Helpers:
Greeters: Grant Raven, Zack Domike

ACTION: Wayne Logan to ask for volunteers to take on roles.

      Roster system for supervisors and helpers to be actioned in the New Year.

 10/     Donated materials:

a/ Members options.              

Action: Donated goods are Menzshed property and not to be taken by members without
authorisation.

 Further discussion on members options in the new year.    

b/ Sale of donated items.        

Action: Further discussion on Sunday sales at Shed or on Trade Me etc.   

c/ Donations & ownership     

Action: As a rule all donated tools, machines etc to become property of Menzshed.

Graeme O’Brien to draft letter. 

Wayne Logan & Ken Heraty to look at Menzshed donating excess hand tools to developing countries. Wayne Logan has contact through Rotary.   

11/      Buy NZ Campaign This has no cost and allows Menzshed to mark any items made with the trade mark of Made in NZ.
Action: Zack to progress design  

12/     Keys: 
Who has them?
Committees discussion was around who needs keys and why. 

ACTION: 
Keys are to be re-issued on reason for having one.  

Wayne Logan: Supervisor. Richard Watson & Mark Cox: Workshop opening.

 Zack Domike, Sunday opening. Graeme OBrien Admin.

Graeme to contact Rod Schmitt & Hamish ??? regarding missing keys.

 13/     Petty Cash/Debit card for Workshop

$50 float for Workshop. To be kept by Mark Cox & Richard Watson.  Receipts to Treasurer.

Moved Phil Chapman                   Seconded Adrian Faulkner

14/     Wayne’s Shed report:    Tabled and Accepted by committee. 

15/     Brochures:

ACTION: Graeme to Contact John Martin to update Brochures and print 200.

16/       Next Meeting Agenda Item raised: Peter Shelton wishes to discuss repaying “Seed Money” put in by Menzshed Nelson members before amalgamating with Menzshed Wakatu.

17/       Donated laptop Kent Robertson donated a laptop to the shed and is progressing WiFi access with Port Nelson.

18/       Action Points:

·       Health & Safety: Fire door warning: All members better housekeeping.

·       Rosters for Floor supervisors & helpers: Wayne to ask for volunteers.

·       Community Requests Team:            Wayne to ask workshop member to be on team.

·       The Box:         Phil to discuss paperwork with Dennis.

·       The Box          Committee to review Workbox Protocols and discuss at next meeting.

·       Keys:              To be reissued based on reason for having one.

·       Keys:              Graeme to contact with Rod & Hamish.

·       Parking:         Phil to discuss with council, Ally Way behind Shed & out front.

·       Parking:         Members to be reminded not to block Port truck access.

·       Brochures:     Graeme to contact John Martin to update. 

·       Workshop Float:                   Treasurer to organise. 

·       Vertical Horizons:                Graeme to produce document for Phil.

                        Phil to discuss with Council.

·       Donated material etc:           Graeme to draft letter for donators outlining ownership. 

·       Funding:                                Phil Chapman to discuss with Chris Alison & Council.

·       Excess hand tools:                 Wayne Logan,Ken Heraty,donate to developing country.

 

19/     Next Meeting: Wednesday 13th Feb 2019 3pm